Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sorority Girl: SK Convention 2012

Starting out as a college freshman, joining a sorority was the last thing on my mind.  But as I continued through my first semester, the idea became more and more appealing to me.  I wanted a group of friends to spend time with, get involved on campus with and just have fun together!  Elon was the perfect place to join Sigma Kappa because Greek Life had such a presence on the University's campus. Not only did Sigma Kappa give me some of my best friends, but also deeply transformed my life and my faith...which of ofcourse impacted my first career on staff with Greek IV, and ultimately my passion for Student Affairs.   

As a junior/senior at ASU, I had the privilege of being the president of SK.  During that time, I was offered to go to SK's Convention but was studying abroad.  I thought the opportunity would never come again, and even becoming an adviser it was always during a family vacation or wedding. BUT this year I was finally free to go!  I pulled out my best sorority wear:  letters, pearls, whites, my badge, etc. and headed to Houston, Texas for 4 days.  

We had a great time!  I learned a lot and it reignited my passion and excitement for sorority women and fraternity men.  The best part of the whole trip was getting to spend time with the other advisers and our sorority president   

Paula (JMU's adviser for many, many years), myself, Joanna (SK president), and Abby (friend and new Greek IV staff worker)

Another cool part of the trip was getting to connect and re-connect with other Sigma Kappas around the country.  I had the chance to meet ASU's exec members and spend time with my old adviser, Dr. Rinerth!  

While in Houston, one of my old pledge sisters from Elon sent me a message on Facebook saying that she was there for work the same week!  She was able to come and join us for a great sushi dinner.  I loved catching up..it had been 7 years since we had seen each other!


One night there is a theme dinner and this year was "Denim, Dazzle and Diva" or something along those lines.  All the ladies who have been coming to Convention for years get all jazzed up and sign songs, dance, and just have a great time.  We laughed a lot and envisioned ourselves as old Sig Kaps..years down the road!


The Grand Dean:  The Sigma Kappa who has been to the largest number of Conventions!
Who says an all girl dance party can't be fun?!  Abby had a blast and taught me how to wobble!
The last night is the awards banquet and a great excuse to get dressed up!



Greek IV + Sigma Kappa + JMU LOVE!


I was sad to leave the next day, but I had a early flight to catch to get to my family vacation at OIB!  Houston, I miss you and your shops, culture, and most importantly...amazing tex mex.  I must say I was slightly disappointed I did not see Tim Riggins from FNL...but maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment