Monday, January 17, 2011

Reunited: A Tribute to Childhood Stuffed Animals





For the full effect, please listen to this as you read this post...

I grew up attached to a blanket and carried it around with me till late elementary school. Not only did I carry it around everywhere, but I also sucked on it constantly--which led me to have terrible buck teeth and having to go through wearing braces TWICE. Anyway, when my parents thought it was time for me to "grow up" they told me the Easter Bunny wanted my blankie and I had to give it to him...a few years later, in 8th grade, I went to NYC with one of my friends and I found a stuffed animal to fill the hole that had been in my heart since I had to give my blankie away.

We both got stuffed elephants at the big toy store--the softest, cutest, and sweetest elephants you have ever seen. My friend named her's "Ellie" and mine was "Fonty," clever huh?! Anyway, I loved the crap out of this elephant. It was the perfect size for cuddling at night right in your arms. I took it with me to college and it traveled with me on the weekends. Until suddenly...it disappeared. One day I woke up and it was gone and I thought I would never see it again. So, for the past couple of years I have had a replacement elephant that did the job justice...but of course it is never the same as my first love. By the way, I tried to move it to our cellar when Luke and I moved into together and he "accidentally" forgot to pack Fonty in the car...I think he was nervous I would diss him for the elephant.

So, I spent this past weekend with my family at Ocean Isle Beach to celebrate my grandparents' wedding anniversary (more on that to come) and you will never believe who I saw! I was walking by Cobe (my cousin) and Luke's intense chess game when I noticed 2 interesting "spectators" that my other cousin, Kenna, had set out to watch the match. One was a monkey and the other was an ELEPHANT....


I immediately grabbed the elephant and exclaimed "Kenna, I used to have an elephant just like is!" and as I was saying itI realized...this was not her's but my very own FONTY--the original!!! He had the same little bleach spot on his trunk that I remembered!! After embracing Fonty and taking in all the emotion of my reunion--I quickly questioned Kenna on how she came across this stuffed animal.


We have a 2 different theories:

1. Kenna said she mysteriously found Fonty at grandma's house one day 8 years ago, although grandma claims she has never seen it in her house.
2. My mom believes that when Kenna was young and visiting the house she might have "accidentally" put it her bag to take home with her.

Well, whatever the case may be, I was just glad to have the chance to be reunited with my childhood friend. I am happy to know Fonty was in good hands all these years--not in a dumpster or in an unloving home. I even let Kenna keep it if she promised to continue to love him well--although my mom just called informing me that he had been left at the beach house and she had him back at the house with her. Maybe it was meant to come back to me...

As I was thinking about Fonty, I started to think about all of my friends and their childhood animals as well. So, I ask the question--have you reunited with your sweet childhood animal lately? Where is he or she?! Stacey, where is puff-a-lumps? Linds, have you pulled Milk (a polar bear) our of the closet lately (since her husband Nick made him go in there)? Lisa, have you appreciated little brown bear? Em, how is Humphrey doing?!



Anyway, here's to stuffed animals that went through so much with us growing up!! We are thankful for you all :)

3 comments:

  1. Aww little "brian" bear is sitting here reading over my shoulder right now, missing fonty and thankful that they are no longer put on top of the ceiling fan by mischievous sancar visitors... love that you found your first love again! Now theres one for you and one for Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this cracks me up! im so glad you were briefly reunited with your love! milk is doing just fine chillin in my closet. he might make an apperence at school for stuffed animal day- haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humphrey is still well loved although he has undergone a few transitions. Pheobe the cat dislikes him and chews/kicks at him.
    He has found someone new to sleep with as I often wake up and find Andy snuggling him tightly. P.s. I'm obsessed with your blog!

    ReplyDelete