Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Finally It Happened to Me: A Journey in Pie Making


I know everyone is probably sick of me talking about my failures at making pie...but I can't help but share the stories of the pies that led me to where I am today...

Beginning with Luke's birthday 2 years ago when he told me all he wanted was for me to make him a pie...so I did.  I found the easiest recipe for Key Lime Pie and it looked beautiful.  I even took the time to cut up fresh limes and decorate it and everything.  You guys know the story, I used evaporated milk instead of condensed milk (who knew they weren't the same?) and ended up with a beautiful, but disgusting and sour pie.

This year I tried again for Valentine's Day.  The pie looked like snot and the meringue was thin as hell, BUT it tasted pretty good, even if it was not in true pie form.





Then, Luke tried to show me up by making a banana cream pie a few weeks later...I had one bite and gagged.  NASTY.  Not even edible.  



Then we decided it was time to call grandma and get some expert advice during Spring Break.  Even her careful instructions and love could not break my curse.  We made one of the prettiest pies you have ever seen, but you needed a straw to drink it.




And then my friends...let me take you back to Friday, May 18 2012.  My grandparents were coming in town and I had the afternoon off.  At first I was just going to give up on the challenge I had given myself--to make the perfect pie by the time they came to visit--but at last minute I decided to give it one more chance. 

It did not start out well.  I got two crusts (OK so the crust was not home made, maybe next time) and one crumbled within minutes of me taking it out of the package.  I was loosing steam quick.  After trying to use the second one and putting some pieces back together, I successfully go the chocolate in the crust and it appeared to be normal.  


Then it was time for the meringue.  Everything was fine until I dropped my spoon while the mixer was going at its highest speed.  The spoon spitted out and got meringue ALL OVER me and my clean kitchen.  I don't have pics because my fingers and entire body were too sticky.  After a quick change of clothes, it was time to put the pie in the oven.



OK, so far so good, although the meringue was not quite as high as I would have liked, but I can't be picky at this point!  I put it in the fridge and waited for my grandparents to come.  We went to an excellent dinner (a post on their trip to come!) and turned down their famous creme brulee for what we hoped would be a great pie awaiting us at home.  The pressure was on.

I cut into it...and it was not a milkshake...but an actual pie!  A pie that actually tasted good...and by good I mean delicious.



Even Grandpa was excited to get back on Saturday to have another piece.  Grandma told me that most girls my age don't know how to make a pie like that.  Luke was proud and I finally feel like I can contribute something to family holiday dinners without lying about whether I made it or not.  Ladies and gents...come over and have some pie!  My next challenge is to try a Key Lime again...wish me luck!




1 comment:

  1. Wow, Taylor, that chocolate pie looks fabulous....glad to read it was delicious as well. First time I made blueberry pie at Merriewold I decided the blueberries were sweet enough and so didn't add the sugar. Wrong decision! The pie looked wonderful, our guests were excited to eat it and we all made horrible faces when we took our first bite! Sour doesn't begin to describe! We ended up eating a small bite of pie and a large spoonful of vanilla ice cream. Thanks for sharing your pie makiing experiences. I enjoyed reading them and you write so well.
    Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete