Sunday, November 21, 2010

Painting in the 'burg

So while life has kept us pretty busy with football games, who-ville, and learning the married life, there In addition to working at the high school from 3pm-9pm, during the day I have been able to substitute, take some online classes, and now, paint.

Tay has been very supportive of my art. In addition, we have both been fans of the farmers market here in town where they sell many crafts in addition to fresh vegetables. So after a quick meeting with the director of the farmers market, she approved my work and I gave her the first week of April as my debut weekend (so if you aren’t busy that weekend, you should come out!).


The first question I asked myself was, “now what?” How did the art greats like Monet, Van Gogh, and Picasso decide what to paint? Well I truthfully don’t know the answer to that question, so I just took a note from my mom’s book (she’s the one that taught me how to paint) and started with pictures of some of the area churches, universities, and other sites that might mean a lot to the people who live here in the beautiful Shenandoah valley.

In addition to being busy at work painting, creating a booth at the farmers market actually requires a fair amount of planning and paperwork. You have to apply for a space, describe your arts and goods to be sold, and file your paperwork with the Virginia Department of taxation. Done, done, and almost done. The one last question that needs to be answered before filing the last form to start my farmers market business is, what should the business be called? DO you have any suggestions? Some words to keep in mind might be Rocktown (the former name of Harrisonburg), brushes, impressions, paint or painting, art, valley, Shenandoah, etc. Feel free to suggest a name. Get creative! We need your help!

2 comments:

  1. luke - you are sooo talented!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that First Pres?? Looks so good! What about the name of your blog? Cellar Dwellin'?

    ReplyDelete