Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Prep

When we think Thanksgiving we think about preparing the turkey, which can take up to 5 hours depending on how big your turkey is (or so I hear). Well, last week I learned that it takes much longer to actually prepare for Thanksgiving itself...you even have to start days ahead of time.

This year my family got together at our new beach house in Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina. Luke and I got up at 5 am and left Harrisonburg to join the family! We walked in on the preparations beginning...

First you have to get the perfect table arrangements. And my grandma and mom will tell you that these arrangements did not come easy this year! They walked across the street to gather a random assortment of flowers, grass, and other things I don't know the name of (I have a lot of learning to do). Anyway, they were attacked by hundreds of sand spurs all over their clothes! They were all scratched up and dad had to take pliers to get all of them off their clothes...

But, as you can see, the pain and time it took to make these arrangements was worth it! Check out this cute turkey!


For the guys of the family, this is what they were doing the day before while the ladies (and by ladies, I mean grandma and mom) were hard at work...


So after prepping arrangements and pre-making the stuffing, the day of Thanksgiving arrives! Grandma and Mom are up early to begin morning prep!

Of course, Mom had to take a break from peeling potatoes to take a picture of what I was doing to prepare for Thanksgving...thanks for waking me up!


Mom bet that I would not put that pic on the blog, but there you go! If I am going to write about my life on here, you might as well see what I look like when I am sleeping...haha!

So, my mom called last week and asked if I would be in charge of an appetizer for Thanksgiving...I was shocked. I thought I still had a spot at the kid's table?! Now, I'm in charge of an app? And, a few days later I find out Santa Clause does not come to married people...who knew getting married would mean you are officially an adult?

So, for the first time ever I prepared something for Thanksgiving, other than Brooke and I's typical duty of filing the glasses with ice and pouring either tea or water. Which, I might add is a pretty important job!! What good would sweet tea be without ice?! But, of course I forgot the recipe for the baked brie I was going to make, but all was well and it did not turn out too bad. Maybe next year I'll try something riskier.


Dad had to take a picture to prove that I actually prepared something.

And, the finished product before Thanksgiving began...



Grandma, I may never be the homemaker that you are, but at least I get to observe you at work! I hope to one day be able to host my own Thanksgiving...one day in the far, far, future.


2 comments:

  1. first - the beach house looks awesome and i hope to take a trip there with you all in the near future :)
    second - cute story
    third - love your hair!
    fourth - glad you and luke had a great thanksgiving with the fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at that gorgeous hair cut... oh and gma's adorable apron!

    ReplyDelete