Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Gamer's Heaven

I am a gamer. And for the past two weeks I have been gaming almost every day!! It has been a true dream for me. Usually I have to beg and plead for Luke to play games with me (because I always win) but the past two weeks there have been other people that wanted to game with me! What a true joy it has been.

So, after all my gaming the past two weeks I was inspired to blog about my favorite games of 2010. For all those gamers out there, enjoy!

Number 3 Game of 2010
BANANAGRAMS! This a great game that combines Luke's love for scrabble and my love for speed.

Audience: best played with people that know how to spell and know what proper nouns are (i.e. my parents are not great at this game)
Best Environment to play: This is a great game if you want something quick and fun to play with friends. Not the best game for people who want to chat while gaming, people get pretty intense! Also, there is a easy way in and out of the game, you are not stuck playing it for hours.
Other Info: It helps you think and use your brain! We all need to give our spelling a brush up every now and then!
Overall Score: 4 out of 5 stars

Number 2 game of 2010


Nerts! This was a close tie for first, and if this was a Big Love gaming blog we would have nerts as our number one for this past year! We play all the time! But, it is not the best game for all audiences!

Audience: Best played with people who love speed! Also, being able to multi-task is a must have in this game, because of that most guys tend to hate this game (i.e. my husband). As we all know, women are just better at multi-tasking :)
Best Environment to Play: Like Bananagrams, nerts is a speed game and takes a lot of concentration, so it not best for times that you want to chat an catch up with friends. A round table is best, and be prepared for your hands to hurt after a long night of playing! Also, if you want to win--don't play with Megan Short.
Other Info: It is a great game that combines both strategy and luck. Also, it is very addicting...and will probably end up playing most of the night.
Overall Score: 4.3 out of 5

Number 1 Game of 2010


Mexican Train!!! I was introduced to this game by Big Love housemates last year and I love it! It was definitely the game we played on the regular last year and perfect for all audiences.

Audience: Anyone can play this game. My grandma loves it. My brother loves it. Smart, dumb, cool, nerdy...it is for anyone and everyone!
Best Environment to Play: You can play this game anywhere. The reason why it is my number one is because you can catch up and hang out while playing this game. It is also wine friendly (playing nerts you might knock your glass over).
Other Info: Again, great mix of both strategy and luck! Also, it is not stressful and easy to come back and win even if you are loosing (i.e. I beat my brother last week in great victory even though he was winning till the last round!)
Overall Score: 5 out of 5 stars

Honorable Mentions:

Sequence.
My brother just introduced this game to me last week and I loved it. With a little more time and experience playing it, it could easily make the top 3 next year.
Gin Rummy.
Luke and I were bored one night last week and taught ourselves how to play. I love the game, but it is only fun for 2 people.
Spades. Although my all-time fave, this year there was little Spades playing. It is hard to find people to play with because it is a more difficult game to explain. But, it does not get much better than finding 3 other committed and hard-core spades players!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever played Canasta? It's another fun card game that takes 4 dedicated people to play. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhhh!!! we LOVE mexican train! we also have it and we should def play sometime :)

    ReplyDelete