Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Running to Victory (Victory Juntion 1/2 Marathon)






Well, ladies and gents, I survived my first half marathon! All the odds were against me, with pouring rain, A LOT OF HILLS (the whole 10th mile felt like an incline), 36 degree weather (Evan said she was not going to run if it was below 35 and raining...haha), an ipod that stopped working mile 3, and a terrible blister... but I ended up running it in 1 hour and 59 minutes!! I was thrilled to make my goal and be able to run it with such fun people!

My sister-in-law, Evan, ran it (I think) in 1 hour and 50 minutes and got first in her age division. She was also the 4th woman overall. Evan's dad, who is in his sixties, ran it in 2 and half hours and beat his goal by 30 whole minutes!

The best part of the whole thing, finishing it and having everyone cheer you on!


Steve finishing! Notice all his "gear" in the back!

We survived!!!
OK, here are a few unexpected things that occurred before/during/after the race that were interesting:

BEFORE: I walked up to the race with Richard Petty. He looked exactly like I pictured him: really tall, thin, cowboy boots, hat, big white shiny teeth...etc. So, that was pretty cool, I guess?! He was really nice and I enjoyed talking to him for a few seconds.

DURING: My ipod broke mile 3. So, what to do for the next hour and half...well I listened to other people's conversations. One involved a funny story a woman was telling about her husband drinking to much tequila and her son asking "Why is daddy acting funny, mommy?"

Also, I was pacing with a 9 old boy. But towards the end, he beat me.

AFTER: No one told me that after running races you might have some stomach issues. Well, I spent the ENTIRE afternoon running to and fro from the restroom. It was quite embarrassing....

And, I just wanted to give a quick shout out to my mom who managed to make it to the race after a late night Christmas party with friends. And, she did not even have a bloody mary with her. I love you and your support means a lot (Im jk about the bloody mary, haha).



So, when and where should the next one be?!

2 comments:

  1. walt disney world! Jan 8th! woo hoo do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome girl - feeling totally inspired! rock n roll in va beach :)

    ReplyDelete