Sunday, July 31, 2011

OIB Beach Week 2011

Every year since I can remember my mom's family gets together for beach week! We have this thing down to a science...

About two weeks before we left, Aunt Dara sent out THE SPREADSHEET. This was the first year I had the privilege of being able to view it, I guess being married means you are grown up or something. Dara created this spreadsheet that lets everyone know exactly what to bring, what night they are cooking, and what they need to buy from the grocery store for that particular meal. This was probably the first time it had been changed in 10 years since Luke, Dereck and I made it to the line-up for the firs time with Fish Tacos! Yes, every year we eat the same meal on the same day...haha!

Here is our week in summary:

Saturday: Arrive and immediately bring a cooler down to the beach. Eat a late dinner of salmon, salad, and garlic mashed potatoes (made by the Haneys). Play a game (this year was Mexican Train and Luke won!).

Sunday: Get up early and head to the beach. We usually read for the first part of the afternoon (I finished the first Hunger Games in 2 days--ahhh so good!), head in for lunch and then head back to the beach till late. This is usually when the boccee ball begins. Eat hamburgers and hot dogs (made by grandma and grandpa). Play a game. This year we added a new one to the mix, Sequence.

*sidenote: As you know one of my goals this summer was to win the family bocce ball tournament...and I must say I have improved so much on my bocce this year. I finally found out I just need a personal "coach" to tell me where to aim and then I let the ball go and win every time (well, almost every time). Dereck was my partner for most of the week until I found out he tried to trade me in for mom (who is way worse than I am btw). So, I then ditched him for dad and we won the Register portion of the tournament. For the whole sha-bang Luke and dad took the title. It was a great week of games this year*




The Register Champs holding the victory ball

Monday: Morning walk. beach, lunch, bocce. Luke and I go see Grandma Sue and Dick in Myrtle Beach for a wonderful lunch. Leave the beach early to go to dinner. Before dinner we take family photos (the same ones every year). Then we go to the same restaurant--Calabash. Which, in my opinion, is not good. Anyone else? Not sure why we keep on going back there other than Grandpa John loves it. One year we tried something else and it didn't go to well (bad service). Thus, we continue to eat fried fish until our stomachs explode. Literally, explode.


good looking fam...


note: don't let child hold Luke's head...this was right after we dropped him.

Cobe and Dara being silly on the dock behind the restaurant

got to love Aunt Dara!

Tuesday: A new tradition: The guys went fishing together! The rest of us girls went to the beach, lunch, guys join for bocce. Of course we eat steaks, salads and veggie (made my parents). play game-maybe some apples to apples this time around.

Luke caught a sting ray! Too bad we can't eat that.

The men with their flounder! It was delicious.


Wednesday: The girls go thrift shopping in Calabash (newer tradition)! By the way, I found the cutest dress and shoes for $20 total with birthday money Grandma gave me :) Go home, eat lunch. Beach...this time Luke, Dereck and I leave a little earlier to get started on our new meal--FISH TACOS. Which was a hit! The cool part? We used the flounder that the guys caught on Monday! Then we watch So You Think You Can Dance (duh.)


Thursday: You know the routine...and this year Marty Heise (A great friend from high school) came and joined us for PIZZA night. Yes, we always order from Tony's Pizza.

OK Grandma Becky is rocking out that bathing suit and hat...hope I look like her when I'm in my sixties!


MARTH--she is getting married soon!!

Friday: A whole lot of beach and eating left over food. For dinner dad makes an awesome seafood meal of some kind...and one last night of playing games.

Ted and Deb holding it down.



Saturday: We cry and go home.

As you can tell, we have a routine. And pretty much things say the same, we get a little older every year and our games change slightly. And every year I feel so blessed and fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful family who loves and supports one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment