Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who knew?


Hey guys!

It's been a pretty exciting week here in the cellar- we had a wine and cheese party on Friday, hosted a JMU alum for Homecoming this past weekend, and an amazing Avett Brothers concert at the Charlottesville pavilion this past Sunday.

Now its time for my chest to swell, place one foot in front of the other, and do my duties as a husband: grocery shop. Though you might not realize it, Taylor and I did some pre-marriage counseling before the wedding, and everything went awesome. In fact, we took an extremely detailed compatibility test and had our results analyzed by a staff psychologist, and on a scale from 1-5, we had a 5. Despite that indicator of success, we did have one area that wasn't quite resolved before each of you had the chance to see us at the alter. Grocery shopping.

So after 2 months of wedded bliss, the crown has been passed, making me czar of all nutritional intake for the Logan household. This is not a task that I take lightly. It is quite a task to say no to sweet 16 donuts and opt for light yogurt instead. Equally difficult is it to say no to the pork rinds and yes to the sun chips (pork rinds are another guilty escape for me) but no, I am married and determined to look out for not only my best interests, but that of the entire Logan family.

With the roadmap to success in my hand, I check off every small victory while selecting the best deli meats that Kroger has to offer. Little old ladies dive out of their way when they see me, mr logan, husband and nutritional czar, reaching for a can of campbells soup, mexican enchilada and not chicken noodle. House wives and small children duck and cower when they see the Logan family shopping cart, chock full of red onions and goat cheese for fanciful and healthy dinner salads.

But every great man faces challenges. Sadly I confess, mine is the grocery store. With every small item checked, and food lion MVP card scanned, I checkout, knowing that the Logan family will indeed live to eat another week. Much to my chagrin, when whipping up a small, southern side item of corn bread prepared in a 12" cast iron skillet, my shopping talents were flattened like an old tire. The corn meal was NOT self rising, and the cornbread a disaster.

While washing the dishes after a delicious goat cheese and red onion dinner salad, like the small childrens cartoon Dora, I made another discovery: that bizzare smell that illicits images of public restrooms was simply inexpensive antibacterial hand soap. Though our dishes are sure to be bacteria free, the food czar takes this as a blow to his reputation.

Who knew that grocery shopping required such minute attention to detail? Soaps come in all varieties- from antibacterial hand to powdered Tide. Corn meal comes in white, yellow, and self rising. Milk is 2%, 1%, or skim. Cheddars are sharp or extra sharp. Pizzas are thin crust or self rising. Diet sodas are pepsi or coke, and eggs are white or brown, medium large or extra large, and always, ALWAYS inspected before placing them upon the checkout conveyor belt.

Peace and Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment