Friday, October 7, 2011

DIYDAY FRIDAY...

That's right it is Do It Yourself Friday! I have been wanting to show some of my recent DIY projects on my blog, but I just seem to keep on forgetting. Thus, for the next few weeks I will post my DIY projects for DIYDAY FRIDAY! Enjoy!

Sidenote: Most of these projects were done during the 2 weeks I was transitioning jobs this summer. For those of you that know me well, you know I cannot sit still. Thus, I was Micheal's twice a day every day, watching TV and crafting.

Ladies, have you ever wondered what to do with that PILE of wedding cards that you don't want to throw away because one day you might want to look at them again? I had an entire basket full that was just sitting in our storage closet waiting to be used. So, my mother had a brilliant idea of how to display them. We used modge podge to create this beautiful side table for our bedroom:

another side note: Please ignore the dookie brown colored carpets that are in the bedrooms. I know it's not cute, but my landlord thinks it is great, so I deal with it. Also, ignore the white walls that we can't paint and the empty picture frame (have not gotten around to that yet). Oh the joys of renting...

please do note: The two books on the table. After my post on Wicked I decided to put the Hunger Games (book 3) on top to mark it more of a priority. Still can't take it off my table yet, but I will get there.

Sorry, I digressed, back to the table. I guess in DIY blogs you are supposed to tell people how your created it...so here we go:

step 1: Find a side table. This one was in my room growing up and I think my mom got it at a garage sale, consignment shop or something like that. It was pink when we first got it, then it was yellow, and then my mom spray painted it white...she uses spray paint for everything by the way.

step 2: Look through your wedding cards and pick ones out that have a similar theme or color scheme. I happened to find a lot with teal, gold, lace, white, yellow, silver, etc. so we went with that...kind of a antique feel.

step 3: Make copies of the cards (several copies of each). If you use the card itself, it will be really hard to modge podge because they are so stiff. So, we just made color copies of all of them and they turned out great.

step 4: BURN BABY BURN. Grab some lighters and burn the edges of the cards. You don't have to do this, but we liked it because again, we like the old antique look. I wish I had pictures of my mom and I doing this , at the time I didn't know I would blog about it as we were going (if you can believe that). We stood outside for a good hour and I had some blisters on my hand for burning so much.

step 5: Grab some modge podge (you can use spongie paint brushes to put it on) and basically go to town. Choose a few that you really want to stand out and then work around there. The problem with my mom and I is, we don't really have an art for doing this, we just slap it on there and see what happens.

Step 6: After mom and I were done modge podging, we needed something to cover some of the empty spots, and the side edge and bottom part of the table. We also wanted to add some cohesiveness to the whole thing so everything looked like it went together. So, we went to Michaels and found some scrapbook paper that had a similar look to the rest of our cards and used that for that bottom and side edge, and then in various places on the table as well. We also cut some of our remaining pieces and added lace and gold in random places...you can cut some of the cards up you don't have to use a whole thing if you don't want to. If you look above you will see we cut the "love" part from the yellow card out and used the rest elsewhere.


Step 7: To finish things off, we sprayed some matte finish on there and waited for it to dry. I prefer matte because I did not want it to have the shiny look.

Here are some more pictures, and sorry again for not having more of the process:





So, that is your first DIYDAY FRIDAY! I hope you enjoyed it and can find a way to use those wedding cards of yours as well.

One more thing, ever since I have wanted to start DIYDAY FRIDAY I have wanted to end the blog like this...

pin this, b*tch.

For those of you that don't know what I am talking about...pintrest is the website for people to "pin" things that they like to a board for other people to see. A lot of people use it for design and what not....and the b*tch part is because sometimes I like to pretend to be a bad ass. But lets be honest, it just does not work for me.

So, pin this, please!

3 comments: