Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Low Country Boil

Now that it is Thanksgiving break and I have my paper done, I can finally catch up on some posts that are way past due! About a month ago a friend from my cohort, Maggie, and her BF invited all of us over for a low country boil. Keep in mind that most of our dear friends in the cohort are from various places like PA, Miami, Kentucky, Kansas, NJ, etc...so this title needed a little explanation.

Several of them wanted to show up in overalls, straw hats, etc. While others had NO idea what went in a low country boil. Some even shared, "I am only coming if it a high country boil." After all the commotion in our facebook group and in class, Maggie finally posted this picture with an explanation...

A low country can be many different things based on the region of the country, but in Georgia we use shrimp, sausage, red potatoes, corn on the cob, and sometimes onion/carrots to make a one-pot dish that has a mix of hot and mild seasonings. Sometimes people use crawfish but I don't like my food to have legs :)

After the picture was posted the following comments were made:

  • Does ink get in the food?
  • What is that?
  • Can you just promise me not to cover the table in the Breeze (JMU newspaper)? I already get sick when reading it, can't imagine how sick I'd get when eating off it.
HAHA they were cracking me up. Anyway, we had a wonderful time at their place and the food was delicious. Check out some pics:


our hostesses!

some of the ladies


All of us doing the "Ryan" for some reason he always raises his hand like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment