Saturday, January 28, 2012

Now this is funny...

A couple months ago I was writing my "Developmental Autobiography" paper for my American College Student class. The paper asked us to use the theories we had been learning in class and apply them to our own development through college. To help me remember the things I was experiencing in college (yes, im old) I decided to look through my old journals. I have been writing in journals since I was in high school, but I rarely read back through them when I am done...boy was there an awesome surprise awaiting me when I did!

The best by far was my freshman year. I laughed at myself over and over for the ridiculous things I was concerned about...but the funniest things I found were my thoughts on Luke and our friendship. If you do not know our full story, you can find it here. But lets just say, Luke liked me for a long time and it took me awhile to realize that our friendship was meant for something more...

There were days that Luke would randomly show up at Elon because I had a bad day, send me flowers for Valentine's Day, take me on "friendship" dates, give me a"friendship" ring, etc...and I still had no idea he had feelings for me...but others tried to tell me otherwise. Here were some quotes I found in my freshman year journal:

"Luke is a great guy, I just love him. I definitely want to marry someone like him, but maybe not so weird." (Sept 3, 2003)

"I am not sure what is going on with Luke. Everyone thinks we are going to get married. I love Luke to death, but I have no feelings for him like that, I just love our friendship!" (Oct 14, 2003)

"I am frustrated right now with my dear friend Luke, well not with him exactly. Everyone thinks we are going to get married and everyone thinks I should like him. God, am I supposed to like him? Right now I am enjoying having fun with him. And also, he is so weird." (Oct 20 2003)

Luke and his "weird" roommates in college...

Apparently, I thought Luke was weird. But who didn't? And I don't know who I thought I was...I was probably more weird than anyone else around me...and still am!


Check out my other journal topics:
  • analyzing EVERY guy that could possibly be my future husband. apparently that was all i thought my about my freshman year.
  • writing ridiculous love notes to my future husband (i was going to post them on here but i got to embarrassed)
  • i frequently wrote how much I loved Elon one day, and the next day stated how much I hated it. i guess i was confused?
  • i also stated this, "i was thinking that maybe there is a guy out there saying 'i want to meet a girl who walks funny, talks southern, has big ribs , and a great sense of humor.' how great would that be?" Yes, in case you have not noticed I walk funny...and hopefully you have not noticed I also have big ribs.
Anyway, I am so glad I ended up with Luke. What a great guy!

All those weird things about him are some of the things I most love about him and our relationship. Like the fact that he does a crazy dance every time he comes home from work, frequently lays on the ground and falls asleep, likes to turn our room into a fort on numerous occasions, likes for me to come home with a fake fire on the TV, etc...all of which make life so much better and more exciting than I ever imagined. So I might have thought he was too weird back then, but now I think he is way to good for me. I count myself lucky and blessed to have him as my husband.

1 comment:

  1. This post is so fricken adorable.. you make me so hopeful that I will be lucky enough to find something the two of you have <3

    ReplyDelete